#16 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts
  • LocationUp River Concrete

Contributor

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Well this thread has convinced me that next week when I get paid the first thing I need to do is order some 48" 10.0 UVB bulbs and hook up fixtures above each row of plants...

I have been using UVB lamps for resin production for five or six years make all the difference in the world!! I have the proof!!jack
  • 0calli, onlycucumbershere and RoofCraig like this

#17 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Contributor

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-products.php

YOU REALLY DON'T WANT THAT LAMP!! uSE THE ONES THAT ARE JUST UVB NOT HEAT AND UVB!!!! Repti-sun 10.0 UVB 26 watt CFL"S I use six for 16 sq. ft. and 1100 watts...jack
  • 0calli and RoofCraig like this

#18 OFFLINE   Brick Top

Brick Top

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 56 posts
  • LocationThe Confederate States of America

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Brick Top, on 14 October 2012 - 12:38 PM, said: http://www.reptileuv...ay-products.php

YOU REALLY DON'T WANT THAT LAMP!! uSE THE ONES THAT ARE JUST UVB NOT HEAT AND UVB!!!! Repti-sun 10.0 UVB 26 watt CFL"S I use six for 16 sq. ft. and 1100 watts...jack

They have fluorescent tubes and CFL's besides the self ballasted and ballasted spotlight type UV-B lights. They have a fairly wide selection of types and wattage and they are the most efficient at putting out UV-B light waves of any similar type light I have ever researched or seen comparison tests done on.

I prefer the self ballasted flood lamp design myself. They have a narrower focus of light but you just put them in clamp on style reflective fixtures and move them daily, and you only burn them for part of the 'lights on' period each day. You get far better light penetration than with a fluorescent tube or CFL style, just like with HID lighting and fluorescent tubes or CFLs for general grow lighting.

You get as close to one third the wattage of what your lighting is, so like 200-watts if you use a 600-watt HID light, and you're in like Flynn.
  • RoofCraig likes this

#19 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Contributor

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

They have fluorescent tubes and CFL's besides the self ballasted and ballasted spotlight type UV-B lights. They have a fairly wide selection of types and wattage and they are the most efficient at putting out UV-B light waves of any similar type light I have ever researched or seen comparison tests done on.

I prefer the self ballasted flood lamp design myself. They have a narrower focus of light but you just put them in clamp on style reflective fixtures and move them daily, and you only burn them for part of the 'lights on' period each day. You get far better light penetration than with a fluorescent tube or CFL style, just like with HID lighting and fluorescent tubes or CFLs for general grow lighting.

You get as close to one third the wattage of what your lighting is, so like 200-watts if you use a 600-watt HID light, and you're in like Flynn.

I can tell you from smoking after using the three mentioned styles the CFL"S are the best too much heat with the par lights just causing problems and electricity for what I don't want and the tubes are to hard to place the CFL"S hang right where I want and they run constant and I have the proof of this in my can's!!!

Attached Files

Edited by sandiegojack2, 15 October 2012 - 10:17 AM.

• RoofCraig likes this

#20 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Contributor

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'd go CFL, but I'd have to get a CFL per plant since it has to be within 10-20" of the light to get a significant amount of UV. I got a lot of plants :) With the 4' HO bulbs I only need 4... probably still need a few CFLs too ;) answer: both :)

Understand that!! I grow 6-12 plants 55-60" so....16 sq. ft with three 2 lamp units and three single "Hangers" I get it all!! I just grow smaller space so I see why you like the four footers!! MY high penatration hood only has 8" on each side to walls!! 32"sq....One four footer won't fit wall to wall outside of fixture is 49 1/2" space only 48".....I use aprox 250 watts UVB for 1100 watts what do you run?? jack .
  • RoofCraig likes this

#21 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Hash Head

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,445 posts
  • Location...following the yellow brick road

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

I was thinking of trying UVB as well. I was going to by some Repti-glo bulbs. You are saying a blacklight will do the same thing? I have 3 of them.
  • 0calli and RoofCraig like this

#22 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hi KS,
Blacklights are generally UV-A and not the same as "Reptilesun" lights which are UV-B...if I read the info correctly.
  • PureGro1, 0calli and RoofCraig like this

#23 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Hash Head

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,445 posts
  • Location...following the yellow brick road

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

OK, that's what i figured. Jack is on me to buy a couple Repti Glo bulbs, but I just haven't had the cash
First I need to pick up my 600w Dimmable ballast, then I'll grab a couple of those buggers

Edited by KidneyStoner, 21 October 2012 - 02:34 PM.

• PureGro1, sandiegojack2, 0calli and 1 other like this

#24 OFFLINE   0calli

0calli

BLuNo$eR

• Inactive Stoner
  • 882 posts
  • LocationDoWn bY THe BeEeAcH !!!!!!!!!

Contributor

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi KS,
Blacklights are generally UV-A and not the same as "Reptilesun" lights which are UV-B...if I read the info correctly.

thts why its best to use both to get both

but damn this thread is really taking off
  • PureGro1, sandiegojack2 and RoofCraig like this

#25 OFFLINE   PureGro1

PureGro1
  • LocationBeast Coast

Contributor

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

but damn this thread is really taking off

#26 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

"They" say to stay out of the sun from ~10AM until 3-4PM during the summer, here, to lessen your exposure to UV's...
does that help?
  • PureGro1, Theowl and RoofCraig like this

#27 OFFLINE   Brick Top

Brick Top

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Not really -- Reptisun puts out both UVA & UVB -- it just puts out about 2/3 UVB and 1/3 UVA -- there is no need for 2 separate bulb types whatsoever.

How many microwatts per square centimeter of UV-B light waves does the ReptiSun put out and at what distance?
  • PureGro1 and DarKwon like this

#28 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hi Bricktop,
I presume there is an upper limit ?...

like, might my plants benefit from filtering some out?
  • 0calli likes this

#29 OFFLINE   Brick Top

Brick Top

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi Bricktop,
I presume there is an upper limit ?...

like, might my plants benefit from filtering some out?

If you mean upper limit as in how much any bulb puts out than I guess there is, but than I would guess that could change as different design and wattage bulbs are released. Other than that I guess the only thing that might be called an upper limit would be what the sun puts out along the equator or what can be found at high altitude. If you mean an upper limit on what plants could use, than I would again say whatever the sun puts out along the equator and what can be found at high altitude.Knowing the microwatts per square centimeter bulbs put out is important. Information saying a light puts out 2/3 UVB and 1/3 UVA isn't of much value on it's own because that doesn't tell you if it's putting out 2 microwatts per square centimeter of UV-B or 10 or 20 microwatts per square centimeter of UV-B or 50 microwatts per square centimeter of UV-B or 150 or 200 microwatts per square centimeter.There is a reason why the highest percentage in THC strains Mother Nature ever produced came from equatorial regions and high altitude regions. It's because those regions have the greatest amount of UV-B light waves.

#30 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

So, basically
...you cannot get too much UV's if gardening outdoors and the more the better.