uv rays spectrums 0calli thc

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   PureGro1

PureGro1
  • LocationBeast Coast

Contributor

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

So here's a good topic for discussion since I have some coming...

if you can't keep the UVB lights on them all of flower (not enough for all plants), when would be the most ideal time to have them under the UV lamps... early, mid, late? does veg make a difference?

Hey reef the UV lamps are used in conjunction with your normal lamps, Whats being said I think is that you only want them on for a few hours per day- throughout plants life but mainly during flower...

Im sure Ocalli or jack or brick will chime in about how much time to use them for per day...

#32 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Hash Head

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,445 posts
  • Location...following the yellow brick road

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Jack uses them on the same light schedule as his HPS. 12/12
  • RoofCraig likes this

#33 OFFLINE   Brick Top

Brick Top

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 56 posts
  • LocationThe Confederate States of America

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

I don't think my question was understood. I won't have enough UV lamps for all the plants. I need to know at what stage in flower it's going to be most beneficial - i can't do all of them all of flower - not enough bulbs/lamps -- at least for now. The ones that do get them will have them on their full day schedule

Don't wait to use UV-B just in flower. UV-B rays are damaging to plant tissue just as they are to human skin. When a plant is exposed to UV-B light waves throughout it's growth will grow thicker more dense trichomes to protect itself. In simple terms if plants receive UV-B during the vegetative stage of growth they will have more trichomes per square centimeter or millimeter or whatever unit of measurement you can to use. More trichomes will grow to protect more of the plant's surface tissue. Most people see UV-B light waves as just a way to pump up the trichomes they already have at some point in flower, to increase the level of THC in the already existing number of trichomes, and many say do it the last week, the last two weeks or whatever. But that is also why some who have added UV-B lighting to their setups say it doesn't work or it hardly makes any difference. Use it in the vegetative stage of growth and you will then see more trichomes, more as in thicker, denser, more per a given area, than if you do not use UV-B during veg. Then use it all through flower and you will have more trichomes building more THC. It also makes for better leftover plant matter to be used to make bubble hash, or hash in general. There will be more trichomes to collect in the form of hash.

Edited by Brick Top, 25 October 2012 - 12:25 PM.

• DarKwon, Theowl, 0calli and 2 others like this

#34 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts
  • LocationUp River Concrete

Contributor

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Not really -- Reptisun puts out both UVA & UVB -- it just puts out about 2/3 UVB and 1/3 UVA -- there is no need for 2 separate bulb types whatsoever.

<<<<<WE USE UVA TO REPAIR DAMAGE DONE BY UVB......PLANTS ALSO!!!LAMPS CHECKED ALSO RAN APROX 10%UVC GERMICIDAL(STERILIZING)WHICH IS ALSO HARMFULL TO HUMANS!! The Uva+the Uvc are just bonus effect due to spectrum controll from manufacturing!! The UVB is what causes the resin production and NOTHING ELSE HAS BEEN PROVEN TO AID IN THIS!!...jack

#35 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

being and outdoor grower...
I would think a full spectrum lighting, as close to sunlight as possible, would be best.

beyond what is scientifically accepted as what the plant absolutely needs.
Those LED set ups may work, too...but, to me, just doesn't look right with all red and blue.
just voicing opinion...not fact.
  • RoofCraig likes this

#36 OFFLINE   Brick Top

Brick Top

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

<<<<<WE USE UVA TO REPAIR DAMAGE DONE BY UVB......PLANTS ALSO!!!LAMPS CHECKED ALSO RAN APROX 10%UVC GERMICIDAL(STERILIZING)WHICH IS ALSO HARMFULL TO HUMANS!! The Uva+the Uvc are just bonus effect due to spectrum controll from manufacturing!! The UVB is what causes the resin production and NOTHING ELSE HAS BEEN PROVEN TO AID IN THIS!!...jack

Ultraviolet A, or UVA

(315 nm to 400 nm): Has higher frequency than violet-colored light and thus invisible to human eye. UV-A is least energetic and least harmful of the 3 (UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C). These rays don't have enough energy to affect the ozone so the radiatino passes through the earth atmosphere pretty much unfiltered. Penetrates skin the deepest and damages connective tissue of the skin. A = Aging
  • The Yorkshireman, sandiegojack2 and RoofCraig like this

#37 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Hash Head

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I just ordered a repti glo 10.0 26w CFL. I'm too cheap to buy 2 at once Hahaha.
I'm gonna run them for the full 12/12 through the whole time.
  • sandiegojack2 and 0calli like this

#38 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Contributor

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Kidney you saw the virgin tears on the LSD dripping ...picked up with rolling papper day 66.....the proof you have smoked!! jack..... The strongest UVB lamps are the Professional tanning lights as they have the highest concentration of UVB!!! about $155.00 each!! Makes ZOO lamps look pale!!>>>>>>>>>>Brick top: While were on the subject of spectrums...we can accelerate transition time if we give the girls 630 nanometers wavelength as this is starlight and is what triggers plants to flower faster than the 12 hour regime we use!!! So if you want to run a faster timeline...........good luck my frtiend!! jack
  • RoofCraig likes this

#39 OFFLINE   Brick Top

Brick Top

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Brick top: While were on the subject of spectrums...we can accelerate transition time if we give the girls 630 nanometers wavelength as this is starlight and is what triggers plants to flower faster than the 12 hour regime we use!!! So if you want to run a faster timeline...........good luck my frtiend!! jack

I am anything but an expert on light from stars but doesn't starlight fall into a nm range just like other light rather than being a fixed wavelength, like 630 nm? For example 41 Cygni, in the Constellation of Cygnus, the wavelength spectrum runs from 360 nm to about 760 nm. With such a broad range what makes 630 nm the wavelength that would make a difference in plants or make the most difference in plants?
  • The Yorkshireman, sandiegojack2 and RoofCraig like this

#40 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Contributor

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I am anything but an expert on light from stars but doesn't starlight fall into a nm range just like other light rather than being a fixed wavelength, like 630 nm? For example 41 Cygni, in the Constellation of Cygnus, the wavelength spectrum runs from 360 nm to about 760 nm. With such a broad range what makes 630 nm the wavelength that would make a difference in plants or make the most difference in plants?

No it's not a broad spectrum measurement it's strictly a tight tollerance to be of value for this purpose...Converting Pf to Pfr doesnt matter what the light spectrum given off the 630nm is the trigger!! It very well may be a much larger output spectrum but as my professor would say your going past the point being made. I'm sure you realize I did this for a living for over 30 years and what spectrum stars emit is NOT MY AREA OF EXPERTISE!! PAR light and harmonic spectrums are what I know! Please don't misread what I've posted as I am sure you have knowledge of the subject as well!! I am only trying to help with the production of resin and hence make the grows more potent!! Thanks jack!!

#41 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Contributor

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Reef have you used a light meter in the set up?? Looks nice!! what was the total cost and where did you purchase??Space looks about 8 foot??jack

#42 OFFLINE   Brick Top

Brick Top

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

No it's not a broad spectrum measurement it's strictly a tight tollerance to be of value for this purpose...Converting Pf to Pfr doesnt matter what the light spectrum given off the 630nm is the trigger!! It very well may be a much larger output spectrum but as my professor would say your going past the point being made. I'm sure you realize I did this for a living for over 30 years and what spectrum stars emit is NOT MY AREA OF EXPERTISE!! PAR light and harmonic spectrums are what I know! Please don't misread what I've posted as I am sure you have knowledge of the subject as well!! I am only trying to help with the production of resin and hence make the grows more potent!! Thanks jack!!

I am just curious as to what makes 630 nm the wavelength the 'key' wavelength, 'the one' or whatever. Sort of what it does the rest of the range doesn't do, and why? Like is it a Kelvin thing plants respond to that stimulates something on a hormonal level or what?
  • 0calli and onlycucumbershere like this

#43 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Contributor

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I am just curious as to what makes 630 nm the wavelength the 'key' wavelength, 'the one' or whatever. Sort of what it does the rest of the range doesn't do, and why? Like is it a Kelvin thing plants respond to that stimulates something on a hormonal level or what?

The wave lengths a plant uses are for several things, Photosynthisis is only one,,this is well doccumented, truth is we know only a small amount! You are on the right track with cause and effect.....Plants use chlorophyll (the pigment where photosynthesis takes place) It coverts Co2 and water using light energy to make sugar. Red and Blue are the wavelengths plants use the most efficiency due to absorbsion by chlorophyll. In addition plants use light energy to regulate growth, Determins direction of said (heliotropism)as well as weather plant will elongate of grow strong stems..(Infrared light promotes elongatition; red and blue light promote stout stems!) Red light from 660nm to 680nm prevents flowering! A short burst of far red light at 730nm after lights out accelerate flower production and transition!...PAR: the light plants use known as PHOTOSYNTHETICALLY ACTIVE RADIATION PAR 400-700nm generally speaking! Visable and near visableRanges from 200nm in the UVC range to about 800nm in the far red region..Human vision 400-700nm aprox..acceptable ranges of UVB..290-320nm UVA 320-400nm..UVC Below 200 to 290nm.. I apologise for any typos I hope this makes some sence to you , I tryed to tell you what I know I dont write well and this is difficult to explain!! jack

Edited by sandiegojack2, 27 October 2012 - 06:08 PM.

• 0calli likes this

#44 OFFLINE   0calli

0calli

BLuNo$eR

• Inactive Stoner
  • 882 posts
  • LocationDoWn bY THe BeEeAcH !!!!!!!!!

Contributor

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

man this stuff is really getting into the science of it i love guys deff got a lot to read up on
  • sandiegojack2 and RoofCraig like this

#45 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Hash Head

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

i love guys

LOL. Sorry bro. Had to quote it.
Jack, what's the NM rating on the 10.0 Reptile Glo 26 watters?

Edited by KidneyStoner, 27 October 2012 - 11:29 PM.

• 0calli likes this