Nutbust

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 361 posts
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Hi guys :stoned-smiley:

I did some research on the relationship between Tomatoes and Cannabis, and found they both belong to the same genetic family. The significance? That means they can be grafted.

Some basic graft facts:

Grafting is basically combining 2 plants to make a hybrid. You take one plant's bottom and roots (called rootstock) and combine it with another plants top and leaves (scion).

The rootstock supplies the plant with nutrients and support, the scion is the part that flowers.

I will be doing three simultaneous tests. One will have the Cannabis as rootstock and the Tomato as the scion, the next will be reversed, with a Tomato rootstock and Cannabis scion, and the third will be grafting the roots of both plants together.

What are we testing for?

Weedy Tomatoes or Tomatoey weed maybe?

Theoretically,and i'm not pretending to know much, but THC is produced in the roots of cannabis, and should Theoretically transfer to the tomatoes. On the other hand, havingg tomato roots and weed tops can provide a Theoretical second generation hybrid, meaning the seeds of the plant might have qualities of both tomatoes and weed, maybe a tomato-leafed weed? Great for stealth.

I might just get a greenhouse and do it now, or wait a few months for winter. I'll look around for 3 weed seeds. Will keep you all updated.

#2 Guest_F A B_*

Guest_F A B_*
  • Guest Stoner

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

im very interested to see how it works out

#3 OFFLINE   Nutbust

Nutbust
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

My battle plan:

Take the first two plants. After the graft has set, they should be in flowering at about the same time. I'm going to pollinate them with each others pollen (not every flower, if it fails I still want a harvest). I have no idea what to expect.

#4 OFFLINE   Energy Turtle

Energy Turtle

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 311 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Get to it! I'm super interested.

#5 OFFLINE   Nutbust

Nutbust

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 361 posts
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Get to it! I'm super interested.

I'm really impatient and want to grow it now but it's too cold. Greenhouse is great but expensive

#6 OFFLINE   Nutbust

Nutbust

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 361 posts
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

I thought everyone might be interested in this very informative pdf. Basically, it shows grafting in various methods and ways, and the success rates in different scenarios.

Has anyone considered grafting weed? If you put a short, stubbly indica or ruderalis, with a cerebral sativa, would it stay short and produce sativa buds?

http://cru.cahe.wsu....W496/PNW496.pdf

Any of the listed plants can graft with cannabis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

Edited by Nutbust, 10 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Nutbust

Nutbust

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 361 posts
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

WOW, here's an amazing lead as to where this experiment may go.

This guy grafted the top of a tomato to the rootstock of tobacco (cousin to weed). The tomatoes did in fact, absorb the nicotine from the roots. If he can make nicotine-laced tomatoes, can we not do the same thing with thc?

EDIT:

A few more developments.

A: Cannabis is very closely related to the hop plants used to make beer. A strain has already been made called Dizzy, it's MJ x Hop, and takes on a vinelike characteristic. That was by putting an mj scion on a hop rootstock. If we can reverse it, we would end up with THC beer.

B: MJ Is also closely related to Figs, and I happen to have 2 mature fig trees. Apparently, I can attach an mj scion to my fig trees branch, and it will become a perennial. Not to mention having a weed tree is utterly awesome.

EDIT 2:

If THC were to be transferred to the Hops, how would one go about activating it?

This video might pose a solution. In his drying method, he points a light downwards below the plants in the sun, giving them a heated but not hot environment, just enough to activate any thc in it.

Could it be the next absinthe?

Edited by Nutbust, 10 November 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#8 Guest_F A B_*

Guest_F A B_*

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

WOW, here's an amazing lead as to where this experiment may go.

This guy grafted the top of a tomato to the rootstock of tobacco (cousin to weed). The tomatoes did in fact, absorb the nicotine from the roots. If he can make nicotine-laced tomatoes, can we not do the same thing with thc?

EDIT:

A few more developments.

A: Cannabis is very closely related to the hop plants used to make beer. A strain has already been made called Dizzy, it's MJ x Hop, and takes on a vinelike characteristic. That was by putting an mj scion on a hop rootstock. If we can reverse it, we would end up with THC beer.

B: MJ Is also closely related to Figs, and I happen to have 2 mature fig trees. Apparently, I can attach an mj scion to my fig trees branch, and it will become a perennial. Not to mention having a weed tree is utterly awesome.

EDIT 2:

If THC were to be transferred to the Hops, how would one go about activating it?

This video might pose a solution. In his drying method, he points a light downwards below the plants in the sun, giving them a heated but not hot environment, just enough to activate any thc in it.

Could it be the next absinthe?

cool find nut

#9 OFFLINE   Nutbust

Nutbust

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 361 posts
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

It seems i've made a mistake.

Weed is from the family Cannabaceae

Tomatoes are from Solanaceae

I can't cross cannabis and tomatoes.

I can definitely cross Hops and Cannabis, they're in the same family. Make my own weed beer methinks.

Anyone interested?

#10 OFFLINE   BlueDreams

BlueDreams
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

I have always known hops and cannabis are close...I think as close as they can get. I have hop plants but they die off in the winter...maybe in the spring? I have grafted pot/pot and many other things. Always thought the root base didn't really affect the scion though...interesting Nut!

#11 OFFLINE   Nutbust

Nutbust

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 361 posts
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I have always known hops and cannabis are close...I think as close as they can get. I have hop plants but they die off in the winter...maybe in the spring? I have grafted pot/pot and many other things. Always thought the root base didn't really affect the scion though...interesting Nut!

very.

New experiment time. One will have hop roots and a cannabis scion, one vice versa, and one will be both regular (fem weed a few hops, hopefully at least one male) and i'll try to cross-pollinate, and see what the seeds make.

#12 OFFLINE   BlueDreams

BlueDreams

MomaPug

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,187 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

I didn't mean I have grafted lots of things with pot, only cannabis to cannabis. I meant I have grafted other things too, like roses and fruit trees......lol

There is a thread on grafting cannabis to cannabis here where I have a few pics of a plant I put three different scions on. http://www.stonerhav...ge__hl__grafted I ended up budding it out but have had others I hold as mother plants.
I am excited to follow your experiment Nut :smileys-passing-joint:

#13 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

tobacco and tomatoes are directly related...nightshade family...
I have heard hops and cannabis are related...but close enough, I don't know. Good luck.

#14 OFFLINE   Nutbust

Nutbust

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 361 posts
  • LocationTexas

Contributor

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

tobacco and tomatoes are directly related...nightshade family...
I have heard hops and cannabis are related...but close enough, I don't know. Good luck.

They're close to the point where they can indeed pollinate eachother. Thats as close as it gets.

#15 OFFLINE   greengenez

greengenez

Pipe Dreamer

• Prepared Stoner
  • 313 posts
  • LocationThe Great (Lakes) State

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

They talk about this in the cannabis alchemy book.
Pretty sure it has to be a certain type of hops.