Photo

Color Change In Flowering Plants

Color Change Marijuana Flower

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SirNovak

SirNovak

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

So recently myself, along with a few other members have been chatting in our journals about color change in plants. (I'm growing some Purple Haze and I want to coax some color out toward the end of the grow) 

What we have seem to come up with as a fact, is that temps greatly affect the color of the plant toward the end of the grow. (seen from other peoples past experience) 

What we were trying to figure out is if there are any other factors that affect color change in plants. 

One member I spoke with (I believe it was Art) said that he had gotten some color change out of his plant when he used to do soil, but now that he is Hydro he doesn't get the same results even with the same strain. 

So we kind of came up with the hypothesis that pH could have an affect on the change of color in the leaves. 

As most you probably know, for soil you want a pH of 7.0 and for hydro, a pH of 5.8.

Could this difference in pH affect color change? 

I know at different pH's nute uptake is more or less effective (some nutes get taken up easily and others do not depending on pH) 

So we kind of thought that by increasing your pH to that of a normal soil medium during the last two weeks or so, as well as dropping the temps, this might cause color change in hydroponic systems. 

Can't seem to find any information on color change in hydro, and it seems to be much easier in soil and I really want to know why (The Science nerd inside me) 

I know we got some big brains on this site and I'm hoping someone could spread some light on the subject, if not, I'm gunna start doing my own hands on research - like growing the same strain in soil and in hydro, and trying different variables to see what happens. 

I know color has nothing to do with potency - but as I said, I want to know WHY it changes color, not just looking for bag appeal. 

So if anyone has any ideas please post them here! 

Thanks for reading!

-SirNovak 

#2 Guest_F A B_*

Guest_F A B_*
  • Guest Stoner

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

i had it happen with temp drops but they werent purp strains so when chopped and dry it turned back green

#3 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'm growing a couple blue plants that are 6 and 7 weeks into flower. No colors yet. Growing in soil.

#4 OFFLINE   SirNovak

SirNovak

The Duke of Jane

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm growing a couple blue plants that are 6 and 7 weeks into flower. No colors yet. Growing in soil.

Well I know (in soil) if you drop your temps during your dark period (toward the end of your flower period) you can coax out the color more so then if you just let it grow under normal temps. 

I just wanna know if the pH has anything to do with that.... or if its just nute uptake in general.

#5 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Gets down to about 60 when the lights are out. Sometimes lower. I thought I would've seen some color but nothing yet. Strains are Blue Hash and Blue Widow.

#6 OFFLINE   SirNovak

SirNovak

The Duke of Jane

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Gets down to about 60 when the lights are out. Sometimes lower. I thought I would've seen some color but nothing yet. Strains are Blue Hash and Blue Widow.

What are their flower times? 

I've heard it doesn't usually start till the last two weeks - but I'm not sure if that is true or not. 

#7 OFFLINE   KidneyStoner

KidneyStoner

Hash Head

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Well they are both 8 week strains. So I would think I should see something any day now.

#8 OFFLINE   bhudda web

bhudda web

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Funny you should ask!!

ive got 4 strains at 7 weeks 3days,,i had a power cut for 3 days,,but no yellowing happened..i put light back on,,since then i have not watered the plants for 6 days,,i havent fed for 15 days  and the plants are going through all deficiencys as they finish...2 strains have purple ish colours on the buds,,,and one has nice orange to peach colours on leaves and buds....all are looking super frosty,,more than previous grows!!!...

im thinking lower temps can change colour,,but i think its a lot to do with letting your plants really struggle with defs in the last week.....the lack of chlorophyl making the plants bring out its finishing colours without and ferts to mess the change.............

ps.....  all plants are a reddish colour without chlorophyl,,,,???

good question!

bhudds

#9 OFFLINE   SirNovak

SirNovak

The Duke of Jane

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Funny you should ask!!

ive got 4 strains at 7 weeks 3days,,i had a power cut for 3 days,,but no yellowing happened..i put light back on,,since then i have not watered the plants for 6 days,,i havent fed for 15 days  and the plants are going through all deficiencys as they finish...2 strains have purple ish colours on the buds,,,and one has nice orange to peach colours on leaves and buds....all are looking super frosty,,more than previous grows!!!...

im thinking lower temps can change colour,,but i think its a lot to do with letting your plants really struggle with defs in the last week.....the lack of chlorophyl making the plants bring out its finishing colours without and ferts to mess the change.............

ps.....  all plants are a reddish colour without chlorophyl,,,,???

good question!

bhudds

Well I know there are plants that have red and brown chlorophyl but mostly just algae and stuff. 

I'm really not sure what it is for sure that causes that color change...

#10 OFFLINE   bhudda web

bhudda web

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

I guess temp and ferts defs could interfere with colouring,,might be a number of things,,or genetic maybe??

i do personally like smoking blue strains cos of taste and colour,,fav colour blue!!

Can you taste the difference with blue strains??......all blueberrys and bubblegum plants have this wicked taste to me....almost like artificial grape flavour??

bhudds

#11 OFFLINE   bhudda web

bhudda web

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

It may just be me tho!!

ive got that synethesia,,i smell certain colours??  not that uncommon,,,when i see purple i smell sugar??  pink and purple smells give me a sweet taste,,so i dont know if the blue strains are just me,,or they do have a diff taste!!

Hope ya dont think im mad,,,brothers got it too!!lol

bhudds

#12 OFFLINE   lime

lime

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

purple kush leaves...she smells/tasted like blueberries
075.JPG

#13 OFFLINE   Artoollious

Artoollious

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

i had it happen with temp drops but they werent purp strains so when chopped and dry it turned back green

I hadn't realized that but now that I think about it, I believe my Aurora Indica went back to green. After drying and curing. Now there's a question I want answered after we get finished with the original. Why did it turn back?!

I'm glad you started this Sir Novak. I was thinking of doing the same thing. lol

#14 OFFLINE   bhudda web

bhudda web

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

Manao,,

you dropped the psycho beanz yet?? 

theres some beautifull autumnal/fall colours there,,,that blueberry taste is very similiar to Bubba kush n other bubble gummer type plants,to me,,,i cant put my finger on it,,but it could be me........

great pic lime......youve assorted the leaves nicely!! :post-40-0-78872300-1336573549: lol

bhudds

#15 OFFLINE   bhudda web

bhudda web

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Hi Art...

good questions....

If the buds on the plant are purplish/blue ish/whatever.....then when cut ,dried and cured go back to original colour green,,,,could that be an oxygenation process?

and if the buds turn colour in the last cupla weeks,,its surely ferts/age or genetic??  isnt it?? 

temps...ferts ..genetics.....colour change in different environmrnts//growing/drying.curing/ cured/aged?????

what im saying is.......f*&k knows,,,lets dig this one out!!

im hitting botany sites!!!

bhudds....

ps..how many blue strains you grown that havent gone blue?....me,30% do not change colour...30% ish.. :post-40-0-78872300-1336573549: