Photo

Unorthodox Practices

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#16 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Speak for yourself...lol I had manners beat into me...........r

:bangin:  :bangin:  :bangin:  :bangin:  guess it didn't work, huh?

#17 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• Stoner Haven Global Staff
  • 22,234 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

Nope.....lol......rw

#18 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

After thinking about this some more here's my conclusion. We all agree that plants smell, some stronger than others. We also agree that the smell becomes more intense when the plant is agitated. In nature, flowers become much more odiferous before an approaching storm. With a grow tent in negative pressure, you are creating a similar drop in barometric pressure as an approaching storm! So Mreduck, your theory that negative pressure causes plants to stink does seem to have merit!

#19 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

could that be pure physics

lower atmospheric pressure will allow more volatile oils/chemicals to release.... 'boil off".

and then some strain don't have such a prominent "nose" to start. Some of the skunks are notoriously smelly, no matter what.

do you get less fragrance if you have fans blow fresh air into the area, as opposed to exhausting the fans?

Edited by DarKwon, 05 February 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

could that be pure physics

lower atmospheric pressure will allow more volatile oils/chemicals to release.... 'boil off".

and then some strain don't have such a prominent "nose" to start. Some of the skunks are notoriously smelly, no matter what.

do you get less fragrance if you have fans blow fresh air into the area, as opposed to exhausting the fans?

What if you are doing both, creating neutral barometric pressure?

#21 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

you almost need a pressure controlled chamber to explore this.....Mebbe we should apply for a grant....growing in a hypebaric [sp?]  chamber as opposed to a "vacuum" ....

#22 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I think it's a combo of the reduced pressure lets mroe odor out and the plant is reacting to stress. It makes sense it would be harder for the plant to exchange gases at lower relative pressure.

I would love to have a grow with a totally controllable environment to be able to make reliable comparisons to see differences in plant response. But unless I can find a grant or venture capital I don't see that happening.

#23 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Maybe we can't really do a controlled environmental test like that but this topic makes interesting conversation and a lot of food for thought.

#24 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

I will bet you a grant is available...even if a study has already been done.

#25 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• 22,234 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Heat and cold affect the travel of smell. Smell travels further the warmer it is. Learn that sneaking around smoking joints.....lol........rw

#26 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Pot smoke seems to stick harder on your clothes when it's cold

#27 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• 22,234 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Probably cause the smell don't leave....lol..rw

#28 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

It has to do with gas diffusion that smell travels better in warmer conditions. Humidity also increases our sensitivity to smell. It's the reason you can smell things so clearly right before it rains.

I'm quite certain there isn't a grant available in the US as you would need to get approval from NIDA and the DEA. But maybe there will be one available in Uraguay soon enough. I'm sure there's venture capital available but I'm not in a location where that's a possibility.

I do agree that it's a nice topic to discuss.

What do you guys feed during flower? I used to aim for a 1-3-2 NPK ratio in flower but I've been doing a high N low P ratio for the past few crops and have been quite pleased with the results. I want to mix up some Hoagland's solution and give it a whirl in my next run. It works out to be about a 3-1-4 ratio.

#29 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

I grow outdoors, in the dirt...Mine don't get fed. They coast thru flower. I can't say some flowering supplement wouldn't be of some value....but I end to think my harsh climate [heat/sun/low humidity] tends to lead to smaller buds...just a theory, though.

I compost a lot of bananas and the compost goes in prior to planting.

#30 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

What all do you use in your compost? I know bananas have a lot of K which is very important to flowering.