Photo

Unorthodox Practices

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

interesting topic mreduck. and glad to see ya over here. you are certainly one of the most knowledgeable folk i've seen in the online world. 

My experience with the whole stinky plant topic is a happy plant is a stinky plant. To elaborate I must tell a bit of a story. 

I've been battling root aphids for over a year now. I pretty much have them under control now (thank god)  and the fragrance and aroma have never been better...I mean strong. 

When the ra were @ their peak infestation I could do my trimming and it would hardly smell at all.

Now that they are controlled, as soon as I take a clone it's like somebody went all willy nilly with mj incense or something. 

All I know is when my girls are staying happy and healthy there's no smell even inside my tent but when I chop them down the stank comes out full force. I've taken to running my carbon filter in the living room when I trim but otherwise it sits unused.

When I got home from being locked up to a neglected garden there was a lot of bud stink.

I'll going to be running an ECSD clone soon that has a reputation for being extra stinky so we'll see how she does in my environment.

#62 OFFLINE   mellokitty

mellokitty

Rolling Doobies

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

i can address this!

think of GLVs as a plant "screaming"..... during an infestation bad enough to become a life-or-death situation, they'll stop screaming and go into survival (conserve energy) mode. at this point they're not doing anything beyond surviving; they're not offgassing GLVs, not pumping out more trichs/resin, this is the last stop before actually *dying*-dying. 

i tend to avoid anthropomorphizing but in this case it sort of makes sense: if you found yourself strapped down (ie immobilized) and a bunch of bugs nibbling at you, you'd probably start by screaming and/or doing your best to knock said bugs off you. having failed at that (and the bugs keep coming), you'll eventually stop screaming and concentrate on staying alive. 

you can test this on your plants; take a ziploc and put it over a branch, closing the zip as much as you can around the stem. then take something off a different part of the plant. carefully take the ziploc off, and you should be able to smell the GLVs in the bag (not sure if it works on cannabis, definitely works on tomatoes)

#63 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

one of my plants kinda gave up

It was a strain the hoppers particularly liked.

It finished, but didn't perform as well as the other strains. I attribute it to hoppers weakening the plant. They stripped the bark off this plant first

#64 OFFLINE   mellokitty

mellokitty

Rolling Doobies

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

one of my plants kinda gave up

It was a strain the hoppers particularly liked.

It finished, but didn't perform as well as the other strains. I attribute it to hoppers weakening the plant. They stripped the bark off this plant first

ok that makes me sort of grateful for the freezing-ass weather. not many hoppers around here.

#65 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

My whole grow "technique"/style is unorthodox.  Unless you are Amish....No chems, molasses, neem...nada

just compost and water

...and do whatever is necessary to contain size

#66 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

I don't think organic is really that unorthodox. I wish I had a spot in the yard I could compost for the veggie garden just because I don't like sending waste to a landfill. But I find after a good cure my buds grown with chem ferts and not flushed taste just as good as any organically grown bud I've ever had.

#67 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

I don't either...

but, if you read all the books, they would lead you to believe that growing a weed is a science project.

#68 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

And it can be if you want it to be. I'd love to have a really high tech setup and work on trying to come up with an optimal nutrition program for my environment but it's totally not needed.

#69 OFFLINE   joe mac

joe mac

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

bump

@ joe mac

they were sucking all the juice from her.

yep

i can address this!

think of GLVs as a plant "screaming"..... during an infestation bad enough to become a life-or-death situation, they'll stop screaming and go into survival (conserve energy) mode. at this point they're not doing anything beyond surviving; they're not offgassing GLVs, not pumping out more trichs/resin, this is the last stop before actually *dying*-dying. 

i tend to avoid anthropomorphizing but in this case it sort of makes sense: if you found yourself strapped down (ie immobilized) and a bunch of bugs nibbling at you, you'd probably start by screaming and/or doing your best to knock said bugs off you. having failed at that (and the bugs keep coming), you'll eventually stop screaming and concentrate on staying alive. 

you can test this on your plants; take a ziploc and put it over a branch, closing the zip as much as you can around the stem. then take something off a different part of the plant. carefully take the ziploc off, and you should be able to smell the GLVs in the bag (not sure if it works on cannabis, definitely works on tomatoes)

good explanation

ok that makes me sort of grateful for the freezing-ass weather. not many hoppers around here.

right! 

#70 OFFLINE   mellokitty

mellokitty

Rolling Doobies

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

hooray minuteearth! inter-species communication explained in stick people! ( the sister channel, minutephysics, is one of mellokitten's favourite things to watch on you-tub)