Photo

Plant Hormones

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   godbody

godbody

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Here is some information on plant hormones that I have used.

Fulvic Acid

This miracle molecule, fulvic acid passes through plant's cell walls with ease. Fulvic acid acts like a claw or chelating agent attaching to minerals that would otherwise be rendered useless to plants. Essential nutrients vitamins and/or plant growth regulators (which plants may not be able to assimilate easily), will 'piggyback' on the fulvic acid to be transported to all cells that need them. This miracle molecule has incredible potential when used for soil enrichment in hydroponic applications and as a foliar spray.
When necessary, they act as "free-radical" scavengers, supply vital electrolytes, enhance and transport nutrients, catalyze enzyme reactions, increase assimilation, stimulate metabolism, chelate and change inorganic minerals into organically complex minerals, solubilize, energize and transport major and trace elements to the site of need, and demonstrate amazing capacity for electrochemical balance.

Fulvic acid is a natural mineral which has survived through the many years of evolution on Earth. It is one of the best and most basic minerals to encourage healthy plant growth. It has chemical properties that allow plants to absorb more nutrients and increases water storage capacity within the plant. Fulvic is so powerful that one fulvic molecule is capable of carrying 60 or more minerals and trace elements into plant cells. It also prolongs the time that essential nutrients remain in the plant cells and maximizes nutritional potential. Fulvic acid increases plant metabolism therefore it naturally increases growth.

One property of fulvic acid is its ability to assimilate with other minerals in the ground when it's a soluble state. It helps turn minerals into a more organic, usable product. When the minerals turn organic, they are more readily and easily absorbed by plant roots.  Fulvic acid transmits immunity to all living things. It reacts to everything including living cells, plants, animals and even microscopic organisms.
Fulvic acid may be administered via foliar applications. It has a low molecular weight which facilitates penetration into plants. Nutrients can be quickly delivered to all sites within the plant, correcting deficiencies and restoring natural balance. 
 As soon as the first flower sites appear, apply fulvic acid as a foliar spray to increase the number of internodes, (flower sites a plant produces).
The most exciting discovery in glasshouse agriculture in recent years is the application of fulvic acid in hydroponic or soilles cultivation. Agricultural scientists have been aware of the benefits of soil applications of fulvic acid for many years. However, it was only recently discovered that fulvic acid could provide the same benefits to soilless crop production.
Adding fulvic acid to the nutrient solution once plants are established, around the second week, strengthens their immunities and increases their resistance to stress. Plants are not as susceptible to slight environmental changes in temperature or humidity. Fulvic acid will not compensate for poor hydroponic cultural practices however it does offer a buffer against minor inconsistencies

NFulvic acid helps plants deal with droughts and freezes better. Its Superior Chelating action is highly desired by hydroponic growers, it greatly improves the plants ability to absorb nutrients. It readily penetrates the cell walls of the plant, carrying nutrients and or plant growth hormones along with it when applied as a foliar spray. 

Indole Acetic Acid  

Indole acetic acid, also known as IAA is an Auxin. This colorless solid is a native plant compound, potent and the most important and active auxin. IAA has many different effects, as all auxins do, such as inducing cell elongation and cell division with all subsequent results for plant growth and development. On larger scale, IAA serves as signaling molecule necessary for development of plant organs and coordination of growth and helping plants find light.

IAA functions

• Increase plant size
  • Increased root growth
  • Helps plants find light
  • When combined with other plant hormones, it helps them function better. Such as IBA, NAA and BAP.
  • Growth stimulant
  • Increase the growing season of some tuberous plants when applied late in the season.
  •  

Giberellic Acid (GA-3) 

Gibberellic Acid

Gibberellic acid (actually a group of related substances called gibberellins) was discovered as a metabolic byproduct of the fungus Gibberella fujikuroi, which causes the stems of growing rice to elongate so rapidly the plant collapsed. Synthetic forms of gibberellic acid are available commercially.

Gibberellic acid (GA) is a very potent hormone whose natural occurrence in plants controls their development. Since GA regulates growth, applications of very low concentrations can have a profound effect. Timing is critical: too much GA may have an opposite effect from that desired; too little may require the plant to be repeatedly treated to sustain desired levels of GA.
Effects of Gibberellic Acid

Overcoming dormancy. Treatment with high concentrations of GA is effective in overcoming dormancy and causing rapid germination of seed. Concentrations of about 2 ppm can cause tubers to sprout earlier.

Premature flowering. If a plant is sufficiently developed, premature flowering may be induced by direct application of GA to young plants. This action is not sustained and treatment may have to be repeated. Formation of male flowers is generally promoted by concentrations of 10 to 200 ppm., female flowers by concentrations of 200 to 300 ppm. Concentrations of more than 600 ppm markedly suppresses initiation of both male and female flowers. Increased fruit set.

When there is difficulty with fruit set because of incomplete pollination, GA may be effectively used to increase fruit set. The resulting fruit maybe partially or entirely seedless. GA has increased the total yield in greenhouse tomato crops both as a result of increased fruit set and more rapid growth of the fruit.

Hybridizing. Pollination within self-incompatible clones and between closely related species may some times be forced by the application of GA and cytokinin to the blooms at the time of hand pollination.

Increased growth. GA applied near the terminal bud of trees may increase the rate of growth by stimulating more or less constant growth during the season.
Frost protection. 

Spraying fruit trees at full-blossom or when the blossoms begin to wither can offset the detrimental effects of frost.
Root formation. GA inhibits the formation of roots in cuttings.

Brassinolide 

Brassinolide is a Brassinosteroid, a plant steroid.

Functions:

BRs (Brassinolide) have been shown to be involved in numerous plant processes:
  • Promotion of cell expansion and cell elongation. Works with auxin to do so.
  • It has an unclear role in cell division and cell wall regeneration.
  • Promotion of vascular differentiation; BR signal transduction has been studied during vascular differentiation.
  • Is necessary for pollen elongation for pollen tube formation.
  • Acceleration of senescence in dying tissue cultured cells; delayed senescence in BR mutants supports that this action may be biologically relevant.
  • Can provide some protection to plants during chilling and drought stress.
  • Encourages new root growth.
  • Aids in creating clones.

•  

Benzylaminopurine (BAP-6) 

Benzylaminopurine is a cytokinin. Cytokinins are compounds with a structure resembling adenine which promote cell division and have other similar functions to kinetin. 
Kinetin was the first cytokinin discovered and so named due to the compounds ability to promote cytokinesis (cell division). 
Though it is a natural compound, it's not made in plants and is therefore considered a "synthetic" cytokinin (meaning that the hormone is synthesized somewhere other than inside a plant). 
The most common form of naturally occurring cytokinin in plants today is called zeatin which was isolated from corn (Zea mays).

Benzylaminopurine Functions

A list of some of the known physiological effects caused by cytokinins are listed below. The response may vary depending on the type of plant species.

Stimulates cell division.
    Causes growth of new branches, shoots, and buds.
    Stimulates morphogenesis, (shoot initiation/bud formation), in tissue culture.
    Stimulates the growth of lateral buds-release of apical dominance.
    Stimulates leaf expansion resulting from cell enlargement.
    May enhance stomatal opening in some species.
    Promotes the conversion of etioplasts into chloroplasts via stimulation of chlorophyll synthesis.

Edited by godbody, 04 March 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   godbody

godbody

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

I have done a few videos. I will post some of them up later.

#3 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• Stoner Haven Global Staff
  • 22,234 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Godbody! That's some very interesting information. The Fulvic acid sounds like it could be very valuable.........rw

#4 OFFLINE   godbody

godbody

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

I use Fulvic Acid in my soil, with Every Feeding and Foilar Spray, from seed to harvest.

Yes, it is very beneficial and is used in some nutrient lines, 

I use 100% Organic Fulvic Acid Powder, i have also used Ful-Power.

Humic and Fulvic Acid both are from the same thing - compost,etc. Humic is thicker, brown in color and best as a fertilizer. Fulvic is refined from humic and is yellowish, has smaller molecules and is better able to penetrate cells faster

#5 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• Stoner Haven Global Staff
  • 22,234 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Really! I uses a humic acid from General Organics. It seems to help. I look to pick up some fulvic acid powder....rw

#6 OFFLINE   godbody

godbody

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

If your gonna use Fulvic Acid, get the purest Organic form

I got mine here http://plantsandstuf...fap-40g/149252/

#7 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

Yes...very interesting!

I'm looking at this from a slightly different perspective

What items [plants matter type stuff] can I toss in my compost heap to enhance its content of these hormones? Are there plants or such that are rich/er in these? Ways to enhance the content naturally?

#8 OFFLINE   godbody

godbody

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

The hormones are independent they will do what they do regardless of nutes.

These hormones are only used once or twice in the plants life.

Many of these hormones slow down the aging process.

Meaning, what may take you 8 weeks will now take you 12-16 weeks.

Most will slow the aging process down. (depending on what combination of hormones are used)

Trust me, I learned the hard way and I know first hand on how plants react to hormones.

Therefore, I would not advice others to use them other than for experimental purposes or breeding. (GA-3 will make fem seeds)

One will learn patience when dealing with the growth hormones.

Darkwon:

Plant hormones are best used as a foiliar spray at low dosages. 

However, the use of Fulvic Acid or Humic Acid in combination with your nutrient program is the way to go.

Fulvic Acid will work as a cleating agent that will allow to plant to better uptake nutrients.

#9 OFFLINE   godbody

godbody

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:19 AM

Kelp (seaweed) and Alfalfa are 2 of the best kept secrets that you should add to your compost.

This is from my notes:

Alfalfa is one of the cheapest and easiest to get products available to us and most do not even know it. It is sold at every pet store in North America and at every feed store also. Alfalfa is the main ingredient in most animal feeds…..horses and rabbits are a couple that come to mind right off. I like to use pure alfalfa for horses. The cost is very cheap compared to the enormous benefits it will give your plants.
Alfalfa contains triaconatol which is a fatty acid growth hormone.I t is especially good for increasing growth rates during vegetative growth It's the "hidden" in the composition of the commercial product "Super Thrive".

Alfalfa is earth friendly. There are no harmful by products. So, you medical users and totally organic vegans here is the product you have been looking for. Alfalfa is also a renewable source….after you have used it to brew in a tea the left over organic matter can be added to the compost bin or used as a top dressing in container gardening. Alfalfa is also a very good feed for your worms if you are into vermicomposting.

Alfalfa comes in two different forms….a meal and in the pellet form. I buy the pellet form from the feed store for 11.00 for a 50# bag. There are garden centers that will carry the meal but the cost is up there and that is what we want to avoid. When I buy it in the pellet form, I take an El Cheapo blender from a garage sale and grind it up and put it into plastic container for freshness. Now, take into consideration that in the pellet form it will be more concentrated. So be careful on the amounts you use.

Alfalfa can be brewed in many different ways.

One way is to just throw a handful into 5 gallons of tepid water and let it soak for a day or so. This method is called passive. The longer you soak it the stronger it will become. There will be organic matter left over after soaking. So before using it just strain it with some #2 panty hose from the dollar store. Or if you do not mind the organic matter, just pour into you container and it will serve as a top dressing.

Another way is to grind the Alfalfa into a meal and place it into a #2 panty hose and brew a tea in the same way as before but adding a fish pump and an air stone. This is the method I prefer to use. During this process, I add Molasses from the Health food store. This will add in feeding the Beneficial Bacteria in the tea. These bacteria are called aerobic bacteria. . The aerobic micro-herd populations fight diseases and bad soil and plant pathogens better and supply more power to your soil's total health and texture. Some people like to use different additives to the tea mix….like Earth Juice Caytlst. Which is fine but I prefer just Molasses and sometimes will add other things if I am going to use it as a soil drench. For foliar feeding I like to use one feeding ingredient by itself.

When mixing a tea, I take about 2 cups of ground up alfalfa meal to 4 gallons of water. I use old drywall bucket from off jobsites. You can also purchase 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. Another source is restaurants…..they have food grade buckets that boiled eggs come in. I then add 1 TBS of molasses per gallon of water. You then add your fish tank air stone and begin the brewing process. I brew for about 48 hours. You can now take the brewed tea and either use as a foliar spray or as a soil drench. Just like any other fertilizer be careful not to burn your plants. I like to dilute everything that I foliar feed with. Remember, Less=Better. You can always add to but never take away.

Alfalfa meal can also be used as a Nitrogen fertilizer soil additive. I said meal because you do not want to use it in the pellet form. Doing that would cause “hot spots” in the soil mixture. I use about 2 to 3 TBS per gallon of soil. If you are uncertain how heavy of a feeder your plants are stick with just 2 TBS per gallon of mix.

#10 OFFLINE   godbody

godbody

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:27 AM

Here are some more of my Notes

I have used GA-3 to create Fems Seeds

GIBBERELLIC ACID (GA3)

How to Use
To Make fem seeds - spray female plant 7 days in a row before 12/12 light cycle
Only requires 3-4 squirts

Probably the best known of the plant hormones. It's produced by the plants tips and is responsible for the plant growth. The problem with GA3, is that most growth is in the form of "stretching" which isn't always diserable, so except for seeds and clones.
GA3 has some other uses as well. You can intiate male fowers on a female plant but using high doses every day for several days, you can also induce female flowers earlier and yield bigger flowers
The gibberellins are widespread throughout the plant kingdom, and more than 75 have been isolated, to date. Rather than giving each a specific name, the compounds are numbered—for example, GA1, GA2, and so on. Gibberellic acid three (GA3) is the most widespread and most thoroughly studied. The gibberellins are especially abundant in seeds and young shoots where they control stem elongation by stimulating both cell division and elongation (auxin stimulates only cell elongation). The gibberellins are carried by the xylem and phloem. Numerous effects have been cataloged that involve about 15 or fewer of the gibberellic acids. The greater number with no known effects apparently are precursors to the active ones.
Gibberellic acid can also influence the timing of flowering, flower gender, flower size and increase the number of flowers. If a plant is sufficiently developed, premature flowering may be induced by direct application of GA3 to young plants. Formation of male flowers is generally promoted by concentrations of 10 to 200 ppm, female flowers by concentrations of 200 to 300 ppm. You may have an increase in the number of flowers by direct application of GA3 to young plants, at 25 ppm.
When there is difficulty with fruit set because of incomplete pollination, GA3 may be effectively used to increase fruit set. The resulting fruit maybe partially or entirely seedless.
GA3 applied near the terminal bud of trees may increase the rate of growth by stimulating more or less constant growth during the season. Since GA3 regulates growth, applications of very low concentrations can have a profound effect while too much will have the opposite effect.
Can wake up dormant plants for a head start in the growth season.

Functions

Increases plant height and growth speed.
Stimulate stem elongation by stimulating cell division and elongation.
Stimulates bolting/flowering in response to long days.
Breaks seed dormancy in some plants which require stratification or light to induce germination.
Stimulates enzyme production (a-amylase) in germinating cereal grains for mobilization of seed reserves.
Induces maleness in dioecious flowers (sex expression).
Can cause parthenocarpic (seedless) fruit development.
Can delay senescence in leaves and citrus fruits. 
Can significantly increase fruit-set of flowers. 
Gibberellic acid while it helps in improving the germination rate, it has been shown to increase the likelihood of males.
It can help in increasing flowers though without affecting plant sex. It would need to be applied about 2 weeks into flower.

6-BENZYLAMINOPURINE

How to Use
To Make A Female Plant -Spray Once a week during weeks 1-3 of veg
Only requires 3-4 squirts

Effects are Latrial growth giving it thicker and stronger stems, healthier and larger leaves (more surface area to capture light) at 300 ppm. Plant will have more branches, foliar spray of 2000ppm. The advantage is that you don't need to pinch of the plants growing tip (thus decreasing the gibberrelins), the plant stays healthy and doesn't stop growing to repair the tip. But dosent gain hieght.
Another big bonus. If you spray MJ with 300ppm at the end of the 4th week of flowering there is a dramatic increase in bud growth. Combined with the earlier spraying of Brassinlide , the end result is outstanding in terms of quality and yield.
6-Benzylaminopurine, benzyl adenine or BAP is a first-generation synthetic cytokinin which elicits plant growth and development responses, setting blossoms and stimulating fruit richness by stimulating cell division. It is an inhibitor of respiratory kinase in plants, and increases post-harvest life of green vegetables.

Functions

A list of some of the known physiological effects caused by cytokinins are listed below. The response may vary depending on the type of plant species.

Stimulates cell division.
    Causes growth of new branches, shoots, and buds.
    Stimulates morphogenesis, (shoot initiation/bud formation), in tissue culture.
    Stimulates the growth of lateral buds-release of apical dominance.
    Stimulates leaf expansion resulting from cell enlargement.
    May enhance stomatal opening in some species.
    Promotes the conversion of etioplasts into chloroplasts via stimulation of chlorophyll synthesis.
   BAP & IAA both have been shown to increase female ratio  

Edited by godbody, 05 March 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:56 AM

Thanks godbody.

A can get bales of alfalfa for ~$20ea. I live in cattle ranching area of southern AZ

#12 OFFLINE   PureGro1

PureGro1

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Thanks godbody.

A can get bales of alfalfa for ~$20ea. I live in cattle ranching area of southern AZ

I remember barely but still I do remember someone telling me they grew alfalfa first on the plot they intended to "Farm MJ", Longggg time back hearing this- I think they tilled it in before planting cannabis there.

#13 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

cover crop/"green manure". Grow it specifically to turn under Generally legumes are used

clover, alfalfa, vetch.....

here's a link to OG  cover crops   http://www.organicga...basics?page=0,2

Edited by DarKwon, 05 March 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   MidAmber

MidAmber

100% Organic Grower

• Inactive Stoner
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

Heck yeah, alfalfa works amazing as a compost accelerator...it has a growth hormone (triaconatol), and works as a veg nutrient....what more could you ask for? <3

Edited by MidAmber, 05 March 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

I use IBA (@ 3,333ppm) & NAA (@ 1,666ppm) mixed into a cellulose.

The cellulose holds the growth regulators in place reallly well.