Photo

Real World Experience Of Adding Uv/uvb Lighting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi all!

Last year I decided to add an extra 450W of UV/UVB lighting, in the form of 3-160W reptile spotlights. I did so in preparation to grow Malawi, but first was able to run a side by side experiment using the same cuttings of a white widow strain. 

If you wish to add approximately 20-30% more trichomes to your bud, then you may wish to look into purchasing a few. While my electric bill has suffered, the cost is off-set by the added weight upon harvest.

Note: Indica dom strains must be watched closely when using UV, as too much will degrade THC before plants are ready for harvest.

Also, if any of you still use magnetic ballasts(I do not)I hear ceramic metal halide bulbs do a nice job when mixed w/an HPS during flowering. Unfortunately they cannot be used with my digital, so stuck here with standard MH bulb.

Peace

#2 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:22 PM

I have been using UVB for many years.... the reptile lights work fine but there are much better one's available for price.....  jack

#3 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• Stoner Haven Global Staff
  • 22,234 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

They are?......rw

#4 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

Driven tubes UVB four foot florescent style cover larger areas not as focused!! Much more money however!.....Less heat output too!   Jack

#5 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

Driven tubes UVB four foot florescent style cover larger areas not as focused!! Much more money however!.....Less heat output too!   Jack

How does one actually use supplemental lighting of this size...horizontally?.

#6 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

On both sides above the girls! About 14" from said! I will be building a new grow space after I move next month I will detail how my set works and show both UVB set ups as I started with reptile lights and moved up to more money .... not really better It's just this My utility company sends me these notification's I am using 400% more electricity than and of my neighbors.... and asking if I would like a free audit to cut my power bills?..... The four foot one's consume less energy but are more difficult to fit in the flower room when it's 4X4..... Jack

Edited by sandiegojack2, 06 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

On both sides above the girls! About 14" from said! I will be building a new grow space after I move next month I will detail how my set works and show both UVB set ups as I started with reptile lights and moved up to more money .... not really better It's just this My utility company sends me these notification's I am using 400% more electricity than and of my neighbors.... and asking if I would like a free audit to cut my power bills?..... The four foot one's consume less energy but are more difficult to fit in the flower room when it's 4X4..... Jack

Ah yes, the old power company. They have noticed a steady increase in my usage as well, and finally sent a guy out to check the meter...lol. My holiday lights were still up, and I do a huge display...so easily blamed that plus told them the house needs insulating.

I was just looking at the flower room here, and no way I could add 4' floros overhead...no place to put the regular lighting. I could easily do it horizontally using existing walls though.

BTW, tried finding those bulbs of yours earlier on Google shop...with no luck.

#8 OFFLINE   sandiegojack2

sandiegojack2

jack

• Inactive Stoner
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

They are tanning lamps!!  From commercial firms...!! They have up to 6 footer's!!   Tanning bed supply houses!!  Jack!!

#9 OFFLINE   Ttystikk

Ttystikk

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

UVB tanning bed lamps, duhhhhh... why didn't I think of that?

Where does one look up specifications for such lamps?

#10 OFFLINE   PureGro1

PureGro1

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

UVB tanning bed lamps, duhhhhh... why didn't I think of that?

Where does one look up specifications for such lamps?

http://www.tanningla...s.com/grow.html

#11 OFFLINE   Ttystikk

Ttystikk

Pipe Dreamer

• Inactive Stoner
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

http://www.tanningla...s.com/grow.html

THANK YOU!

#12 OFFLINE   DrD81

DrD81

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Tstik you on here too

#13 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hi all

I have an electrical question regarding self-ballasted MV spotlight bulbs. For some odd reason, when I have these incorporated into my lighting system the bulbs turn on and off constantly. Yet when I take the same bulbs and run them by themselves they function properly. So for me to use them, I had to separate the MV bulbs to their own timer and power cords...which is a pain b/c now I have an extra extension cord in my way.

I'm certainly no electrician, but could all those amps etc already running through cord from MH/HPS lighting be causing the MV to malfunction?.

TY in advance for any replies.

And for those considering using MV self-ballasted, please keep this in mind. :)

#14 OFFLINE   PureGro1

PureGro1

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

No electrician either, I use CFLs as side lighting sometimes and they are hooked into same timer as my Ballast- its a timer that can accept 2 plugs. I have no issue with them, I dont think its the amps that is the problem really- And would say for safety sake to check the power cord that the MH/HPS is on, I would strongly suspect that cord is no good and I would think anything lighter then 14 gauge on a cord could cause this issue, Also make sure your timer is rated for the same amps as ballast and bulbs including startup when they draw more. I think the timer or cord is a bottleneck and not allowing full amperage to all your bulbs and if thats the case its a disaster waiting to happen....

#15 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

No electrician either, I use CFLs as side lighting sometimes and they are hooked into same timer as my Ballast- its a timer that can accept 2 plugs. I have no issue with them, I dont think its the amps that is the problem really- And would say for safety sake to check the power cord that the MH/HPS is on, I would strongly suspect that cord is no good and I would think anything lighter then 14 gauge on a cord could cause this issue, Also make sure your timer is rated for the same amps as ballast and bulbs including startup when they draw more. I think the timer or cord is a bottleneck and not allowing full amperage to all your bulbs and if thats the case its a disaster waiting to happen....

Timers are generally the weak point in many indoor systems, for this reason I still use a mechanical outdoor timer plus a 12 gauge commercial extension cord. I think it's the bulbs themselves heating up too much within the system. Then the self-ballast shuts it down, which is safety feature.

I like keeping things simple, and cheaper if possible. So, I am switching to these:

http://www.exo-terra...tile_uvb200.php

:)

Edited by Sunbiz1, 27 July 2014 - 10:05 AM.