Photo

Cloning Mediums?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi all!

Quick question for everyone. My cuttings take forever and a day to root, been using sunshine #4 amended with even more perlite. The stuff is just too heavy/dense no matter how much perlite I add. Then they of course sit in a humidity dome where medium stays soaking wet, which can lead to damp rot etc.

I need to dial in on a better method, am considering rockwool...but have a question.

Can rockwool be planted directly into a peat based medium without any issues?.

TY in advance for any assistance,

:SMILEYBIGSMOKE:

#2 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• Stoner Haven Global Staff
  • 22,234 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Hey Sun! I know people who have! You could get cloner!.in Diy section you find a thread by one made by SandiegoJack2! People use that and then plant in soil! On here! ... :) ....rw

#3 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

My clones take 7-10 days to root in damp Promix BX in a party cup with a plastic sandwich bag placed over it.

I've planted clones rooted in RW into peat w/o issue a few times, they might slow down for a day or two but then they take off just fine. You can also get the Jiffy starters that are peat and they work just fine as well. I used them a lot before I started just sticking cuts into a party cup of medium and still use them when I'm taking cuts for others.

#4 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

My clones take 7-10 days to root in damp Promix BX in a party cup with a plastic sandwich bag placed over it.

I've planted clones rooted in RW into peat w/o issue a few times, they might slow down for a day or two but then they take off just fine. You can also get the Jiffy starters that are peat and they work just fine as well. I used them a lot before I started just sticking cuts into a party cup of medium and still use them when I'm taking cuts for others.

I tried jiffy peat pellets in the past, recently actually...they burned both seedlings and cuttings.

Too many nutes imo, so tossed them in trash.

#5 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hey Sun! I know people who have! You could get cloner!.in Diy section you find a thread by one made by SandiegoJack2! People use that and then plant in soil! On here! ... :) ....rw

Wonder if one of these might help...price is right...lol

#6 ONLINE   roofwayne

roofwayne

Old Fooled

• Stoner Haven Global Staff
  • 22,234 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Sunbiz1, that's what I'm talking about! I think Jack's cost like 23 bucks but I think it only 6 sites! That would work great!.......rw

#7 OFFLINE   Grandpapy

Grandpapy

Learning to Roll

• Inactive Stoner
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

I use rockwool starters and hugo blocks but just restarted using coco.

My cloner is just a covered tray but it sits on a shelf that has light mounted underneath so it stays pretty warm.

It's important that the rock wool is not too wet. I shake the hell out of them.

I usually see root in 6-8 days.

http://www.stonerhav.../2775-rockwool/

#8 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

I tried jiffy peat pellets in the past, recently actually...they burned both seedlings and cuttings.
Too many nutes imo, so tossed them in trash.

They should be inert. Thats quite odd.

#9 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

They should be inert. Thats quite odd.

It is odd, never had a problem w/Jiffy pellets until the last batch.

If they contain nothing but peat, then ph must have been incorrect on the pellets I tossed out.

Peace!

#10 OFFLINE   mreduck

mreduck

Smoking Blunts

• Inactive Stoner
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

Yeah peat can be rather acidic. I like to give them a good soak and then shake out the excess water like I do with RW. If you're doing lots of cuts that way a salad spinner thing works great for doing several at a time.
But for lots of cuts aero cloners are the way to go!

#11 OFFLINE   Highland Thai

Highland Thai

Losing Lighters

• Professional Stoner
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

I think environment is a main component when cloning  = warmth and moisture , this is weird because I just finished  up with a experiment on cloning today, what happed is I am moving over to organics from bottle nutrients. in my organic search I read a few times that  Aloe makes for a very good cloning gel.

I do not think that the medium is to crucial as long as it is not to hot and the PH is sufficient ,

So I took 2  9 week old mothers same strain but different phenol type cut 4 clones from each mother

I always use FF happy frog as my clone and seedling medium, because my organic soil is to hot ,but I was out of happy frog and the nursery I get it from was closed, so I bought a cheep bag of Jobes organic potting soil.

I took 4 cutting 2 from each mother and used my usual method  using clonex  for the rooting gel , the other 4 cutting I took I used a Aloe plant I bought that same day the K-mart where I got the $6 jobes potting soil from

I slit open one of the Aloe plant leafs and stuck my cuttings in to be used as a cloning gel.

my normal time for a clone to take root is about 7 or 8 days ,but I leave them in my cloner set up for at least 10 - 14 days to give them a good hardy start , and it took 7 day before the 4 with clonex  to take root as normal . But my surprise was the 4 cuttings that I used the Aloe plant had rooted in 4 day and  very good rooting occurred.

These clones are 11 days old , I mostly can get almost 3 week before I have to transplant ,but the Aloe clones will have to be transplanted today.because of good fast rooting and the cheep potting soil I see is only good for about 2 weeks as they are showing they need some better soil.

#12 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

Yeah peat can be rather acidic. I like to give them a good soak and then shake out the excess water like I do with RW. If you're doing lots of cuts that way a salad spinner thing works great for doing several at a time.
But for lots of cuts aero cloners are the way to go!

I've tried everything but a machine, including straight and adjusted peat(I have 50 lbs of dolomite lime here). When done correctly, it is a great starter medium for both seedlings and cuttings. Only I cannot find peat that does not contain unwanted guests, usually in the form of fungus gnat eggs etc.

I used to make my own sunshine/promix blends, finally got tired of battling gnats so switched to the actual sunshine product stored indoors. This solved my problem, am finally bug free after almost 2 years!.

Also, my original pre-98 bubba is now on the 11th generation. I don't really use mother plants, simply take cuttings and then flower over and over. Even with this method, it seems to be getting more difficult with each passing generation to establish cuttings...or is it just me?.

#13 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

I think environment is a main component when cloning  = warmth and moisture , this is weird because I just finished  up with a experiment on cloning today, what happed is I am moving over to organics from bottle nutrients. in my organic search I read a few times that  Aloe makes for a very good cloning gel.

I do not think that the medium is to crucial as long as it is not to hot and the PH is sufficient ,

So I took 2  9 week old mothers same strain but different phenol type cut 4 clones from each mother

I always use FF happy frog as my clone and seedling medium, because my organic soil is to hot ,but I was out of happy frog and the nursery I get it from was closed, so I bought a cheep bag of Jobes organic potting soil.

I took 4 cutting 2 from each mother and used my usual method  using clonex  for the rooting gel , the other 4 cutting I took I used a Aloe plant I bought that same day the K-mart where I got the $6 jobes potting soil from

I slit open one of the Aloe plant leafs and stuck my cuttings in to be used as a cloning gel.

my normal time for a clone to take root is about 7 or 8 days ,but I leave them in my cloner set up for at least 10 - 14 days to give them a good hardy start , and it took 7 day before the 4 with clonex  to take root as normal . But my surprise was the 4 cuttings that I used the Aloe plant had rooted in 4 day and  very good rooting occurred.

These clones are 11 days old , I mostly can get almost 3 week before I have to transplant ,but the Aloe clones will have to be transplanted today.because of good fast rooting and the cheep potting soil I see is only good for about 2 weeks as they are showing they need some better soil.

Ooooh...you just reminded me. I've been using cloning gel, but have something free and available that supposedly works better.

Willow tea, and now is the time to cut branches. :)

#14 OFFLINE   Highland Thai

Highland Thai

Losing Lighters

• Professional Stoner
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

yes I also have read good things about Willow tea for cuttings , just have not found a willow tree in my area yet to take a few branches 

#15 OFFLINE   GrowersRUs

GrowersRUs

Losing Lighters

• Inactive Stoner
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

I like rapid rooter plugs on a heat mat.

Some strains take longer than others.