Spores - Starch - Bacteria - Fungi in the sandbox

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather
  • LocationHere --> •

Contributor

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

Spores germinate if there is moisture, nutrient, and a suitable temperature for the species. As it grows, the germ tube releases exogenous enzymes into the substrate (e.g. amylases, blue arrow). These break down the starch to their component glucose molecules that are water soluble and absorbed by the fungus (curved black arrows). Free living bacteria (dark blue rods) in the vicinity, however, can take advantage of the 'free' glucose and multiply. To protect the substrate for its own use, the fungus can release a 'chaser' of antibiotics (e.g. patulin, aflatoxin: red arrows) to inhibit or eliminate competition from bacteria and other microorganisms. You can appreciate the limitation of exogenous secretion of enzymes and how fungi can compensate for this limitation.

Alternatively fast growing fungi such as Rhizopus and other Mucorales (the so-called 'sugar fungi') are rapidly growing opportunists.  They use up the simple sugars available very rapidly and grow away from the source before the bacteria have built up to competitive levels.  Mucorales do not produce antibacterial antibiotics.

Attached Files

• roofwayne, Llama, Liveforever and 8 others like this

#2 OFFLINE   Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather
  • LocationHere --> •

Contributor

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

lmao

Maybe it's time for a post on plant tissue culture protocols.

• roofwayne, Llama, tiltswitch and 1 other like this

#3 OFFLINE   chilimatt

chilimatt
  • Locationdeep south

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

So are these microbes beneficial to the soil. Reason I ask is that I'm growing totally organic this round. I'm using forest humus and sandy loam along with fish fert 1x every 2 weeks

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 3 others like this

#4 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

I had an interesting idea/thought on composting-----Rid X ...the stuff you put in your septic tank when its tummy gets upset.

spose to be chock full of shit eaters and nutes for them.

Beneficial or not?

chilimatt,

IMHO

none are "bad" unless the balance gets very skewed 

Edited by DarKwon, 12 December 2015 - 08:35 AM.

• roofwayne, Llama, tiltswitch and 3 others like this

#5 OFFLINE   chilimatt

chilimatt
  • Locationdeep south

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

I had an interesting idea/thought on composting-----Rid X ...the stuff you put in your septic tank when its tummy gets upset.

spose to be chock full of shit eaters and nutes for them.

Beneficial or not?

chilimatt,

IMHO

none are "bad" unless the balance gets very skewed 

Ya the enzymes in Rid X break down natural matter. As for composting hehehehe this just might make the process much faster. That's a dang good idea DK. I got 3 boxes :old: :rubbing-hands-in-excitement-smi

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 3 others like this

#6 OFFLINE   Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather
  • LocationHere --> •

Contributor

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

chilimatt yes very beneficial, as a matter of fact, let's call them essential. One can't have too many.

DarKwon Ridx is basically an enzyme package that breaks down sludge.  If you are a hunter and want to remove skin and hair from like a deer head... just put into a bag of water with Ridx, you'll have just bone.  For compost the best starter (imho) and is comfrey leafs - bocking 4 or 14, not the rough comfrey that is an invasive plant. Put a few of those babies in the ole compost pile, not only will they act as a compost activator but also a great source of N. 

Ever look on Amazon and see what people sell regular comfrey leaf for?  LOL I haven't seen anyone selling the bocking.

File under: For What It's Worth

Edited by Your Grandfather, 12 December 2015 - 08:52 AM.

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 4 others like this

#7 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

My soil at the other house got lots of fish. They "disappear" in no time...Just scales and bones and fish emulsion smell left after a few days. I made jokes about leaving skin in contact with the dirt for any length of time...

• roofwayne, Llama, tiltswitch and 3 others like this

#8 OFFLINE   chilimatt

chilimatt
  • Locationdeep south

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

chilimatt yes very beneficial, as a matter of fact, let's call them essential. One can't have too many.

DarKwon Ridx is basically an enzyme package that breaks down sludge.  If you are a hunter and want to remove skin and hair from like a deer head... just put into a bag of water with Ridx, you'll have just bone.  For compost the best starter (imho) and is comfrey leafs - bocking 4 or 14, not the rough comfrey that is an invasive plant. Put a few of those babies in the ole compost pile, not only will they act as a compost activator but also a great source of N. 

Ever look on Amazon and see what people sell regular comfrey leaf for?  LOL I haven't seen anyone selling the bocking.

File under: For What It's Worth

They use that for Tea? or soaking in bath tube hmmmm and bocking here at Amazon    http://www.amazon.co...ywords= bocking.

I found this 1 in particular interesting :) http://www.amazon.co...eywords=bocking.

Edited by chilimatt, 12 December 2015 - 09:06 AM.

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 2 others like this

#9 OFFLINE   Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather
  • LocationHere --> •

Contributor

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

Here is something to read.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

You want the "russian" or bocking

Horizon herbs in Oregon. $20 and you get like 15 cultivars shipped overnight.  that's where I got mine.

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 4 others like this

#10 OFFLINE   fruit_loops

fruit_loops

gangster of love

• High Society Stoner
  • 2,141 posts
  • Locationbetween 19 and 22 degrees n. latitude

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

Fish emulsion, that smell is wicked rank, lol I don't use it cause I can't handle that smell
  • roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 1 other like this

#11 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts
  • Locationwhere I am at the moment

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

When I make my soil I add about 2 cups of crab meal, 2cups alfalfa meal and 4 cups of kelp meal.(and 5 lbds of worm castings) to 25 gallons of my re usable Organic soil mix.

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Your Grandfather and 3 others like this

#12 OFFLINE   chilimatt

chilimatt
  • Locationdeep south

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Where do you get and why crab meal. Is it for the calcium?

#13 OFFLINE   fruit_loops

fruit_loops

gangster of love

• High Society Stoner
  • 2,141 posts
  • Locationbetween 19 and 22 degrees n. latitude

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

Is it for the calcium?

that along with nitrogen, phosphorous,and magnesium

Edited by fruit_loops, 13 December 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Your Grandfather

Your Grandfather
  • LocationHere --> •

Contributor

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:13 PM

gotta love those worm castings.... :)

for really shitty soil, I used to spread 2" over the top of the container and then just scratch it into the soil a bit.

#15 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts
  • Locationwhere I am at the moment

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

I had to go to Bozeman last week and they have a 'Planet Natural' store there.

That store is an indoor gardeners wet dream, let me tell you! They have EVERYTHING. 

I bought a 5lb box for about 10.00. I also bought 25 lbs of worm castings packaged in 5 lb ziplocks @ about $1.00 a lb.

I'm using my worm castings at 1lb per 5 gallons of soil mix.

• DarKwon, fruit_loops and Mycobro like this