• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

Are strains and/or phenos producing less amounts of trichomes generally less potent than the frosties?.

I ask b/c seemingly every plant producing less trichs has been destined to never be grown again. In some cases(land race in particular), I have dumped their successive clones after not liking the mother smoke. This of course, is a huge waste of time and $$.

Are there non-sticky strains that are any good?. Prior to joining this site, I trashed 2 huge Malawi gold at week 9. Pistils were dying, and almost zero resin produced. I took pics, and showed them to Mohican. After comparing his plants to mine, we concluded mine were industrial hemp. I could have finished them, and extracted kief. But how much kief would I really have gotten from plants with little resin to begin with?...probably not enough to make the dry ice trip worthwhile.

Peace!

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 4 others like this

#2 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts
  • Locationwhere I am at the moment

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

Duuuuuuuuude!<br /><br />Trich production is important for making hash but it is not the definitive indictor of potency. Many tropical sativas have very little trichomes and do not appear to be any good. It's all in the smoke! I grow the Malawi Gold often and it is very potent but not frosty. Y Griega is another one that didn't get very frosty. When I first grew those, I thought they were going to suck as they weren't at all frosty. I could barely function after smoking them. So don't get lost in the trichome jungle.
  • roofwayne, DarKwon, SRH88 and 9 others like this

#3 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

Are strains and/or phenos producing less amounts of trichomes generally less potent than the frosties?.

I ask b/c seemingly every plant producing less trichs has been destined to never be grown again. In some cases(land race in particular), I have dumped their successive clones after not liking the mother smoke. This of course, is a huge waste of time and $$.

Are there non-sticky strains that are any good?. Prior to joining this site, I trashed 2 huge Malawi gold at week 9. Pistils were dying, and almost zero resin produced. I took pics, and showed them to Mohican. After comparing his plants to mine, we concluded mine were industrial hemp. I could have finished them, and extracted kief. But how much kief would I really have gotten from plants with little resin to begin with?...probably not enough to make the dry ice trip worthwhile.

Peace!

absolutely!!!!! ...but, they were sticky, when you crushed the flowers

some strains make, what I call, diamond dust. The plants will have a sheen, no snow.

The oils in them are mostly in the plant matter. The hash I have shaken from those will go thru a 70micron bag [I used my 110 and got the same]  and you won't get much. Hardly any.....But it will be full melt.

....and then we get into

Why are plants that are equally frosty different in how high you get.... Not all trichs are created equal. Not the quantity of trichs...it is what is in them.

Edited by DarKwon, 05 February 2016 - 10:15 AM.

• roofwayne, Llama, SRH88 and 6 others like this

#4 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

I think I misread...

I have had plants with hardly any trichs that kicked ass.The Mexican, that is the beginning of Evil, was one of those diamond dust girls. I shared it at the first gathering...

#5 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

I think I misread...

I have had plants with hardly any trichs that kicked ass.The Mexican, that is the beginning of Evil, was one of those diamond dust girls. I shared it at the first gathering...

The best means I have found to view this is via flash. The frostier of the 2 is llamaberry, the huge sativa dom is crossroads. Was going to take down the H. berry a few days ago, just getting to it now. Your CR is only a couple weeks behind, so I am assuming it has a bit longer flower time required.

:)

Edit: Took a peek at both under a scope, HB not done and CR definitely has better coverage than the Malawi I trashed 2 years ago.

Attached Files

Edited by Sunbiz1, 05 February 2016 - 01:11 PM.

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 7 others like this

#6 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

Duuuuuuuuude!<br /><br />Trich production is important for making hash but it is not the definitive indictor of potency. Many tropical sativas have very little trichomes and do not appear to be any good. It's all in the smoke! I grow the Malawi Gold often and it is very potent but not frosty. Y Griega is another one that didn't get very frosty. When I first grew those, I thought they were going to suck as they weren't at all frosty. I could barely function after smoking them. So don't get lost in the trichome jungle.

Quick question 4 you/anyone. 

This land race hash plant I chopped 2 weeks ago has many small trichomes, while other strains have a mix of different sizes.

While dry ice and a 110 mic bag give nice blonde hash upon pressing, I cannot help but wonder if I should not be processing it twice(second bag)or perhaps trying a new method for a better return. I just don't get much for all the work it takes, maybe 10% return...IE: 3 grams from 30.

#7 OFFLINE   Llama

Llama

'Executive Mod'

• Stoner Haven Staff
  • 11,570 posts
  • Locationwhere I am at the moment

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

First off there is no 'landrace' hashplant. It is a hybrid indica. Always process your product at least two times. Try running a batch of ice water bubblhash instead of dry ice and see if you get better results. Also start with a 220 bubblebag inside a 165 inside a 110 inside a 75 micron bag.

• roofwayne, DarKwon, SRH88 and 5 others like this

#8 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hi Biz,

Nice plants!

I just pick 'em when they start going amber....That's w/o a scope. So.....

don't know what to say about trich quantity on CR. .... maybe not the frostiest pheno? I haven't grown, but 2...so. The one I am running 12/12, right now, is number 3. I know that the AZMG Mexican side can make trichs late, swell late and suddenly.

#9 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

First off there is no 'landrace' hashplant. It is a hybrid indica. Always process your product at least two times. Try running a batch of ice water bubblhash instead of dry ice and see if you get better results. Also start with a 220 bubblebag inside a 165 inside a 110 inside a 75 micron bag.

Would require purchasing more bubble bags, $$ I'd rather spend elsewhere such as vacation. :)

I only have a 220 and a 110.  :dance:

#10 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

Hi Biz,

Nice plants!

I just pick 'em when they start going amber....That's w/o a scope. So.....

don't know what to say about trich quantity on CR. .... maybe not the frostiest pheno? I haven't grown, but 2...so. The one I am running 12/12, right now, is number 3. I know that the AZMG Mexican side can make trichs late, swell late and suddenly.

I'm smoking pheno 1, much frostier with structure more like an indica. Pheno 2 growing un-topped like a Malawi threw me for a loop. Trichs are still 90% clear, gonna be a while.

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 5 others like this

#11 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

a 110 bag is my "go to" for dry shake. I don't use dry ice. Just make oil from the "dregs"...

ya know, there is one way to find out if the CR is any good.....The tried and true---a test clip. You should be able to tell f it has potential. Ya know it's gonna get better...but better than what

That CR looks like momma #3 dom...if it is, it's a late/r one

Edited by DarKwon, 06 February 2016 - 01:10 PM.

• roofwayne, Llama, SRH88 and 5 others like this

#12 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

More questions. :)

Can we judge THC potency by the amount of expansion in our lungs, IE:cough.?

Or are the expectorant properties CBD?

#13 OFFLINE   wu wei

wu wei

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

More questions. :)

Can we judge THC potency by the amount of expansion in our lungs, IE:cough.?

Or are the expectorant properties CBD?

I sort of mentally do this when vaping. There's a certain uncomfortable feeling in my bronchi - like tiny bugs chomping on them. When that happens the highness usually settles in like a fog. lol

• roofwayne, DarKwon, Llama and 5 others like this

#14 OFFLINE   Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Full Melt Stoner

• Professional Stoner
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

I sort of mentally do this when vaping. There's a certain uncomfortable feeling in my bronchi - like tiny bugs chomping on them. When that happens the highness usually settles in like a fog. lol

That's your alveoli(thousands of tiny air sacs)being dilated, hence cannabis in liquid form used for asthma.

Generally, if I don't feel that expansion I don't get high.

• roofwayne, Llama, SRH88 and 3 others like this

#15 OFFLINE   DarKwon

DarKwon

Ganga Din

• High Society Stoner
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

I have to agree to a point. But not always the case. You can get some very smooth/sweet ass kicker

Edited by DarKwon, 12 February 2016 - 11:11 AM.

• roofwayne, Llama, SRH88 and 3 others like this