Chickens For Your Weed
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Chickens and Marijuana
Related image

Maybe you had the same reaction as the chick in the pic did! But...

I am serious, So many people have backyard chickens today that coming across free chicken poo is becoming increasingly easy even in the most urban-ist of jungles, I know what your thinking...But Pure, WTF do I do with chicken poo after I trade my neighbor some used acorns for it? Ok, maybe that's not exactly what you were thinking however I am sure I was close :D. OK...OK, Stop begging I will tell you what you can do with your freshly received chicken poo right now.

Chicken manure is a great all-around fertilizer and typically the go-to for homesteaders looking for an on-site source of nutrients. It contains all the macro-nutrients (N, P, and K) but is particularly high in nitrogen (roughly 2.8%) which is exactly what we want in a all-purpose fertilizer. The only imperfection with chicken manure is that it needs to be composted before use. When used raw, the ammonium nitrogen can burn your plants and no one wants that. Composting chicken manure allows lets the nutrients within the manure to “age” so that they are more available to be slurped up by your hungry plants. At TKO Reserve, we sweep up the chicken coop (bedding/straw and all) every couple of weeks and throw it into our compost bin. Throw some water on it every few weeks and use a pitchfork to flip it for aeration. You can also let your chickens run wild in the pile and they’ll aerate for you while they search for bugs! In about 6-9 months, the manure will be completely composted and ready for use — yeah I know it’s not instant gratification but patience is a virtue with farm life. Once the chicken manure is composted it is ready to be used; it can either be watered in as a top-dress (directly on the soil) or you can stretch the life of the manure by making compost teas to water or foliar spray your plants. Chickens are perfect for that urban gardener because you only need a small backyard or side yard. Plus, with a flock of chickens you get the best fresh eggs daily!

First things first

We need to figure out e how much chicken manure you need to fertilize your garden. The basic rule of thumb is to use 50 pounds of chicken manure per 100 square feet of garden soil.
(That is a 10' x 10' area for the math challenged)

Now there are multiple ways you can use your Chicken Poo, Figure out which method is right for you

There are three ways:

1. Mixing the poo directly into the garden soil (or soil for a pot).

2. Making a poo tea.

3. Composting the poo.

IF you choose to mix directly into soil , You should allow the poo to age outdoors for at least three weeks before doing so.

Directly Mixing Chicken Poo into the Soil

Throw the chicken poo evenly over your garden soil,  Work the aged chicken poo into your garden soil using a hoe or tiller before you begin planting. If your using this in a pot, do the same thing except after its mixed into the soil put the soil in the pot.

Making Chicken Poo Tea for Fertilizer

Fill a large garbage can 3/4 full of water Then Shovel or scoop the chicken manure into a burlap bag, put in a rock or brick and then tie the opening shut with string or a Zip Tie.
Then place the burlap bag in the water-filled garbage can, The rock or brick will weigh down the burlap bag So it will stay down in the water.

Allow this to sit for about three weeks. The water will become rich with nutrients, creating chicken Poo Tea. You can then fill a watering can or sprayer with the Poo Tea and water away!

Composting Chicken Poo for Fertilizer

Add the chicken manure to your existing compost pile and water it thoroughly. Use a rake or pitchfork to turn over the composting material, mixing the chicken manure with the other organic ingredient. Turn the manure every two to three weeks to aerate the compost pile. In about six months, the chicken manure compost will be ready to spread over your garden soil as fertilizer. Fertilize your garden by mixing the composted chicken manure into the soil using a hoe or tiller.

Pro Poo tips

Try to get chicken poo mixed with litter like hay, sawdust or wood shavings. The nitrogen content is typically higher than poo alone.  Make sure you wear gloves and wash up when done messing with Chicken Poo  because it can harbor viruses, worm eggs or even bacteria that cause chicken disease and can make you sick.

Do not spread fresh chicken poo because it contains high enough nitrogen levels that it will burn and possibly kill the plants in your garden, Plus the disease factor above.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice write up pure.. I have 12 chickens and they are quite the poo factories .. 

I had such great results using rabbit poo last season im thinking of doing a write up on the uses of it... :harvest:

• Like 2

Bantams or regular chickens, doesn't matter which.. any kind will make you really good shi#$- poop..IMG_20180429_172253.thumb.jpg.413e68c0dd502ae6a7bedfc5e4eed5cd.jpg

IMG_20180429_171131.thumb.jpg.0a11eddcb50a32f13f1619cd6364f749.jpg

• Like 3

Have to pick variety down here. Meat chickens get too big and will die from the heat - so I've been told. 

I kinda like BarredRock. Just an appearance thing. They are cool. Ericana are "old school bird... almost wild. They give blue or green eggs. Nice birds, too.

I wold have to get laying birds. I get attached to the stupid things. They aren't near as dumb as they are credited. However, they don't take housebreaking training. They just don't understand not to shit in the house. They do get friendly though.

• Like 3

Yeah we have one of the banny hens "bake" who loves being held and petted .. she's really good in are house, not this last winter but the one before ,, she was in the house all winter..  we had a pet Porter for her house,, she would roost on the cat tree and chill there most of the day,, whenever she got thirsty she would drink out of the dog dish or if she got hungry would got to her house (pet Porter)and eat .. we would cover her and her house at night with a sheet because if we didn't she would wake us up every couple hours freaking out about laying an egg or if the cat walked by...lol..  

• Like 2

I will get some pics of my chicks, If we get any new ones we can have a Peep show!

We have 4 girls, one araucana that lays blue eggs, two buff orpingtons and a black sexlink...There all cold tolerant breeds and lay a minimum of 4 eggs every day sometimes 6.

• Haha 1

You have eggs coming out your ears with that production!.......lol.......rw

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, roofwayne said:

You have eggs coming out your ears with that production!.......lol.......rw

Been giving them away! I dont eat eggs every day, so they pile up.

• Like 1