StonerHaven

"Where The Stoners Grow"

Forums, Picture Gallery, How to Tutorials, Articles, Blogs, Product Reviews, Recipes, Strain Guides and much more
Join Today

Seed To Weed

We Cover It All-

Tutorials, Forums, And Articles Devoted To Marijuana
TutorialsForumsArticles

Learn to Grow

Grow To Learn

Learn and Share Advanced Marijuana Growing, Harvesting and Extraction Techniques
Advanced GrowingHarvestingExtracts

Interactive Legalization Map

Find State Laws, Marijuana Business In Your Area And Much More
MAP

Cooking With Marijuana

Tutorials, Forums, Recipes And Articles All to Help You Become A Canna-Connoisseur
TutorialsForumsRecipesArticles
warpdiggity

Skinny, dry, droopy leaves

12/12, Northern Lights fem, start of flower, 6.5pH, recently flushed, LED, FFOF, 8in tall. 8 weeks, 75 F.

Yes i know theyre small. Couldnt be helped due to early problems. Anyway finishing it out and encountered anothwr serious problem. Lowered the humidity, but it went too low, like 30 or so for more than a week. I figure that might have caused this. But the plant next to it is fine.

2019-02-05 00.42.06.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Too much Nitrogen. It won't flower well like that..........rw

• Like 7

1 hour ago, roofwayne said:

Too much Nitrogen. It won't flower well like that..........rw

+1

9 hours ago, warpdiggity said:

recently flushed

Could be an over-water situation as well, What size is that pot? Small plants have this happen more than larger plants, try letting it dry out a bit and when it needs water go with water only and see if she can bounce back. 

• Like 7

Claw-like leaves generally indicates too much N, which I scale back on second half of flowering period.

I tried looking up the N-P-K ratio on that Fox Farm OF, no luck.

What was the early problem on the plant?.

• Like 5

terrible pH management, shit tested orange after a while, i shit you not. anyway that's all fixed for next run.

• Like 6

Update:
Decreased water quantity a bit (fixing muddy soil)

Decreased water frequency from 2x a week to once per 4 days (fixing muddy soil)

Bloom food and not much of it (correcting possible nitrogen toxicity)

Is it me, or is Northern Lights tricky due to its small size? Yes it's resilient, and known for it. However, I think that when plant is smaller it's much more sensitive, or is it just me?

• Like 5

Makes sense! Smaller less room for error. ......rw

• Like 5

9 hours ago, warpdiggity said:

Is it me, or is Northern Lights tricky due to its small size? Yes it's resilient, and known for it. However, I think that when plant is smaller it's much more sensitive, or is it just me?

Nope, not just you....

Big plants = Big root systems, in over water situation the plant can usually use up the excess and less soil to soak it up due to high root volume, And because there is a lot of roots its easier to overcome less water as they tend to find moister to survive. Small plants are easy to over water and deprive the roots of oxygen, and dont have big enough root system to seek out water when under watered.  Everything is magnified with small plants/pots.

• Like 6

Organic materials(particularly peat)becomes acidic upon decomposition.

I am forced to add additional dolomite lime to correct ph.

All mediums are generally ph adjusted, in the beginning; but not after a month of watering.

Then mid-flower, leaves begin yellowing due to lockout.

Good luck!

• Like 6

What causes thin reddish brown edges developing around leaves?

90B96257-793C-4340-A43B-5B72C4965754.jpeg.ba5f3f1a7a469ae22ae4d8eb24673bb7.jpeg

Also, do cannabis plants really canabalize their own leaves and thereby derive nutritional benefits from doing it?  I remove most lower, older fan leaves at early flowering. But I also snip leaves that have turned yellow and shriveled so they aren’t blocking light to lower healthy leaves as flowering progresses. Is that ok or stupid?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wu wei said:

Also, do cannabis plants really canabalize their own leaves and thereby derive nutritional benefits from doing it?  I remove most lower, older fan leaves at early flowering. But I also snip leaves that have turned yellow and shriveled so they aren’t blocking light to lower healthy leaves as flowering progresses. Is that ok or stupid?

Im having a tough time telling on that picture, It could just be natural coloring if she is seeing lower night temps or around a 15* temp swing between day/night (sometimes they show color regardless)

The actual burnt brown leaf edges, usually accompanied by leaves clawing (curling downward) is too much Nitrogen....Most hydro plants you see will have this..

kind of on the cannibalization, Its a yes and no answer- it depends on how your growing, and how your feeding. The idea is to flush toward end, because all the power is being directed at producing flowers the leaves will yellow and die off. If you were feeding and kept feeding- you could keep most of plant green right up to harvest (this is not advised, just mentioning it)

There are a lot of varied opinions on removing/not removing fan leaves, One thing you can try yourself is pick two similar branches-receiving same basic light and strip the fan leaves from one while leaving other intact.... 

The one you dont strip will produce larger buds, As for yellowed leaves- I remove them and I prune fan leaves on inside of plant, I tuck fan leaves wherever possible to keep em from shading bud sites- cutting in flower only when I have to- it does stress the plant a bit so the later in flower you go the less you want to cut. 

• Like 4

Thanks pg! I figure badly yellowed leaves are yellow cuz there isnt much chlorophyll left so not much photosynthesis happening.  So if its blocking light it’s a liability rather than an asset. I just get rid of the biggest ones with the most yellowing where they’re blocking light. Never really sure if this is ok or not. I see many people’s plants make it almost to harvest with hardly any yellowing. Mine always tend to yellow and look shitty during flowering. 

• Like 4

my plants drop leaves all the time... but, particularly mid flower on. I see it as they aren't needed any more and the plant drops "dead weight" so it can hold more flower weight.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wu wei said:

90B96257-793C-4340-A43B-5B72C4965754.jpeg.ba5f3f1a7a469ae22ae4d8eb24673bb7.jpeg

Plants only look like this when they are unable to absorb full spectrum of necessary nutrients.

Left to their own, they'll finish; but yield will be tremendously reduced.

Am about to chop 1 that resembles the pic, but the lockout occurred due to the shit Promix it was started in 4 months ago.

Some strains will yellow, and drop lower fan leaves late; but when dialed-in they should remain fairly green til' chop.

Edited by Sunbiz1
  • Like 5