Growing Indoors...In A Outdoor Shed

42 posts in this topic

So.....may be moving in a few months. New location has a fairly large outdoor shed that I could use to put my 2 tents in. I'll have to investigate further but pretty sure no windows so shouldn't be any light leaking issues (plus there tents so mostly light proof anyways). My main concern is smell and noise. I have a 6" cannister and a 4" one too that I plan on using. At the moment I have them running off duct fans from the Home Depot so not getting a lot of sucking power (250 cfm) I believe. So I'll need to replace them to get more power like inline fans that don't create a lot of obvious noise since I'm outside now. Not looking to spend a lot on new ones, maybe $75-100 each.

Now as for smell...would letting the air circulate throughout the shed and then escape via and holes in the roof of the shed be safe? Don't want to directly vent outside but figured if it ran through the filter inside the tent and then the air outside the tent shouldn't stink or have a fairly small smell then letting that escape would be unnoticeable. House is in a community but backs to a small road and would have to travel I'm guessing 100-150ft to the nearest house (just a guess there).

Ideas & suggestions?

• Like 6

Ive done good using a cheapo carbon filter- Yours is probably still in good shape with that low a cfm pulling on it honestly. They say 250- but a centrifugal fan that is rated at 250 feels like it would suck your hand into it when you get close. So im not sure that 250 is a real 250...I would say doing styrofoam insulation inside the shed would kill most of the noise and exhausting down low on whatever side of shed is farthest from where people would be would work.

I like hydrofarms fans for an economy solution- Not loud at all and work great- http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-Air-inch-In-Line/dp/B002JQ14F8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418852686&sr=8-2&keywords=hydrofarm+6+inch+fan

For not much more you could get a CanFan- these are even quieter- price has really came down on these also, used to be much more...  http://www.amazon.com/Can-Fan-Inline-6-Inch-Minute/dp/B004C2IWIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418852881&sr=8-1&keywords=can+fan+6

Venting with one of these fans and any Carbon Filter (cheaper ones just dont last as long) you wont notice a smell outside of the shed...Insulated duct will help with noise also.

• Like 4

So.....may be moving in a few months. New location has a fairly large outdoor shed that I could use to put my 2 tents in. I'll have to investigate further but pretty sure no windows so shouldn't be any light leaking issues (plus there tents so mostly light proof anyways). My main concern is smell and noise. I have a 6" cannister and a 4" one too that I plan on using. At the moment I have them running off duct fans from the Home Depot so not getting a lot of sucking power (250 cfm) I believe. So I'll need to replace them to get more power like inline fans that don't create a lot of obvious noise since I'm outside now. Not looking to spend a lot on new ones, maybe $75-100 each.

Now as for smell...would letting the air circulate throughout the shed and then escape via and holes in the roof of the shed be safe? Don't want to directly vent outside but figured if it ran through the filter inside the tent and then the air outside the tent shouldn't stink or have a fairly small smell then letting that escape would be unnoticeable. House is in a community but backs to a small road and would have to travel I'm guessing 100-150ft to the nearest house (just a guess there).

Ideas & suggestions?

I once posted here that lava rocks from Home Depot are effective for smell. They are, but not nearly as effective as these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OdoBan-8-oz-Eucalyptus-and-Wildflower-Solid-Pet-Odor-Absorber-973522-8Z/202560642

Just bought 2 last week for harvesting smell, placed them in front of a fan and entire house smells like baby wipes. And they last for weeks...only next time I buy a different scent. :)

I'm done with carbon filters(way too much noise), as this cheaper alternative works better.

• Like 5

@Sunbiz1

I used something similar this summer- both to get rid of a smoke smell and then to hide plant smell in a car (traveling 500 miles with a plant in full flower)...They work very well and are pretty cheap compared to Ona gel, I dont know that it lasts as long as the Ona gel stuff but I do like these...

• Like 5

@Sunbiz1

I used something similar this summer- both to get rid of a smoke smell and then to hide plant smell in a car (traveling 500 miles with a plant in full flower)...They work very well and are pretty cheap compared to Ona gel, I dont know that it lasts as long as the Ona gel stuff but I do like these...

I used Ona gel last Spring, when my home was being insulated during flowering...what an adventure that was.

Stuff is expensive, and has to be re-charged fairly often with even more expensive liquid.

My vote goes to the cheaper of the 2, as the solids last over 2 weeks w/constant fan running...longer without one.

• Like 5

Ive done good using a cheapo carbon filter- 

me too, indoors in a very sealed environment. I was just concerned for him as it sounds like he'll be in a garden shed, where anyone could walk up to the outside. 

• Like 3

Guest GrowersRUs

Sheds get hot in the summer ime. Insulate and seal as bestyou can.

I look into them Sunbiz. 

I have thought about making a Ona Bucket if the smells got to crazy but if these are easier then im all about that! 

@wolfpackblue how u got your shed setup?

Edited by Chris628
  • Like 5

I look into them Sunbiz. 

I have thought about making a Ona Bucket if the smells got to crazy but if these are easier then im all about that! 

@wolfpackblue how u got your shed setup?

My outside shed has no insulation so I struggle with high temps in the warmer months and I get temps in the low 90's when lights are on. My answer for that is a lot of air circulation. My air inlet has a 4" duct booster fan to help bring fresh air inside the shed. I have 4 fans inside the shed that move air around. My 6" inline duct fan is connected to a "cheap" carbon filter and exhausts the old air from the shed every 30 minutes. My 2 400W HPS lights are in enclosed hoods. I have a 4" inline fan that comes on when the lights are on and it blows air through both hoods and then outside. In the colder months I have to run a small space heater and it holds temps around 73-75 degrees.

If you go to my thread "Heres What Ive Been Doing" and scroll through the pics then you will get a glimpse of my setup there. Good Luck!!

http://www.stonerhaven.com/topic/2824-heres-what-i-been-doing/

Edited by wolfpackblue
  • Like 3

The struggle to control the high temps is getting real folks! Here's a example for ya...Outside temp says 76, temp inside shed is about 86, and temp inside tent is 97. That's with no lights on!

post-765-0-57022600-1431718276_thumb.jpg

At night when my lights come on at 7pm, the temps outside are cooling down so its only mid 80's in the tent. I want to add my 600w HPS this month when my next seeds are ready but leary with the extra heat from that in addition to the heat already in their naturally.

Think my problem is ventilation...well lack thereof. I have 2 windows on the shed, they are old fashioned crank handle style where they tent up or down as u twist the handle. Here's what one looks like...

post-765-0-34831400-1431718351_thumb.jpg

When I took over the shed i covered these widows with plastic and old sheets to hide my activitys and to attempt to block smell from leaking out.

My idea is to build a shelf, then make box and paint it black. Then attach the box to the shelf and have it on the back window, mount a fan on the back to suck in air from the shed and shoot it out the back window. That way I can exhaust hot air but also not have to worry about anyone peeping in and perhaps seeing something. Here's what the back window looks like...

post-765-0-80892100-1431718628_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions or ideas?

• Like 4

I think I remember him saying something about having to run a new circuit to the shed in order to have an AC out there. I deal with this too but not that high of temps. I like the idea of the fan pulling the air out of the shed. Need to have good air circulation for the plants in the tents and I think he will be ok. At least its not direct sunlight type of heat.

• Like 3

should be able to match the outside/ambient air with the inside air with good ventilation.. Maybe a few degrees higher inside..

• Like 3

I put a small cheap fan I had laying around in the back window shooting out. Pretty sure It helps cool it down 5-10 degrees. Got it pretty close to what the outside temp "feels" like. Like yesterday when I checked it was 82 but felt like 87 outside and the tents temp was 88.

Finely got a day off work so I can check on it during he hottest part of the day. Think its a high of 81 so I'll see if gets over 90 with the fan on.

• Like 6